Comics and The New Yorker together on TMI

Benjamin Walker's podcast Too Much Information is a thing that I enjoy very much. In the hour-long radio show from WMFU, Walker tells stories, conducts interviews, and generally messes around with truth and fiction. What I didn't know about him was that he is also giant comic book fan. His June 20th episode was all about comic books and comic book illustrators, and even interviewed Francoise Mouly, the impeccably French art editor of The New Yorker (and who - fun fact - is married to Art Spiegelman).

It just so happens that The New Yorker is also a thing that I enjoy very much. The magazine has published many covers drawn by well-known comic book artists - R. Crumb the aforementioned Spiegelman are but two - and Mouly talks about the recently released book Blown Covers, a selection of New Yorker cover illustrations that never made it. She explains why she wanted to publish illustrations that were never supposed to see the light of day:

"...when you see the enormous work that goes into refining ideas - once they are found - and search for ideas, then you realize the phenomenal work that goes into this distilled result. I think the insight into that process of the artist looking for ideas is an insight into the creative process."

It's a good episode, and if you're a comic book fan I'm sure you'd enjoy some of the other interviews Walker has with other comic book legends from the "Comics, Philosophy and Practice" conference.  You can find the episode here.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Thanks for the heads up Kinnon. I have also been listening to Paper Wings and Inkstuds podcasts which I also think you would enjoy if you don't know about them. Sam Weber also has a great illustrator interview podcast done through SVA called "Your Dreams, My Nightmares." All of these are available through I-tunes.

Kinnon said...

Awesome, thanks Steven! I was listening to Escape from Illustration Island for a little while but lost interest (and now it's defunct). I will check these out for sure. I'm so glad you shared these!