Certainly Michael Chrisman's photograph of the Royal Ontario Museum's new powder diffractometer is. Apparently this machine used to see inside the atomic structures of crystals. Yup.
Read the whole Torontoist article about the ROM's Collections and Research Building (not the crystal) here.
Michael Chrisman's website has more beautiful images of empty rooms and places, if you're into that sort of thing. (I am).
Here's a sneak peek at the invitation set I did for Stacy & Tim's wedding. Stacy approached me with the idea of a "carnival / circus" theme and I ran from there. Her colours were yellow and grey, with hints of surprise red. The whole set included an invitation, directions / accommodations card, menu, wedding favour, and thank you cards. This was such a fantastic and rewarding project, and I wish nothing but the best for that lovely couple!
I am so excited to share this blog header that I just finished designing and illustrating for my friend Hilary. Her blog, Hungry Hungry Hilly, is a really enjoyable collection of new recipes she's tried at home (and most often tweaked - Hilary has been a low-G.I. devotee for a few years now) and restaurants she's tried here in Toronto or on vacation (check out her New York and St. John's, Newfoundland posts). For the header, Hilary wanted it to reflect the fact that she is no self-appointed "amateur gourmet" or food snob, but simply a big fan of cooking and eating FOOD. And also that she has a quirky one-eyed cat named Mr. Leo.
For the caricature, I traced a pencil sketch that I did of Hilary and Mr. Leo with a thin, black marker. I scanned the drawing into Photoshop to clean it and adjusted the contrast so that it would trace much more easily into Illustrator (make those whites whiter and blacks blacker!) Using the Live Trace function, I converted the jpeg into a vector drawing, and I decided to keep the sketchiness quality of the drawing by pushing up the threshold quite high (this meant, though, that I had a lot of cleaning up of jagged edges once the trace was done). I coloured the drawing in Illustrator, and added the scanned decorative paper in the background. The font is Ostrich Sans.