You really should know Lianne Leeflang


I have been a fan of poster art for I don't even know how long. Is it the mix of images and typography? Is it their graphic simplicity, their often hand-made feel? Is it that their images are (usually) conceptual and evocative rather than literal? Probably all of the above. Anyway you slice it, I like me some posters. Which is why I was so happy to stumble on Lianne Leeflang's work over at Illustration Friday.

Based near Rotterdam, Lianne is a freelance illustrative designer who specializes in book illustrations, patterns and prints. As a side project on her blog, she is illustrating a poster a week to the themes posted on Illustration Friday, and finds her inspiration in music: "Sometimes [I look] on gigposters.com, sometimes on youtube, to find a song or group...somewhat like the theme. That works great, since there is written a music tune to just about everything :)"


She sketches ideas by hand "with the particular tune playing the background", scans the images and colours them in Photoshop. She uses scanned paper textures as well, to give them the vintage-y look that I really love about them. Lianne also uses a secondhand book of fonts from the 1950s to inspire her typography on the poster.

Lianne has known for a long time that she wanted to make illustration her career: "From about since I was six years old...I was always making these little books, writing stories and illustrating every other page...I knew it wasn't going to be easy to make a living out of it...But I decided I still wanted to give it a shot." I wish her all the best, and I'm excited to see more of her posters up at her blog.

Thanks to Lianne for letting me share some of her work and telling me a little about how she creates her posters. Lianne's professional website is lianneleeflang.com. Take a look!

No comments: