Travel Diary - Day Seven

Recently I flew home from a 24-day solo trip to Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Seville, and Lisbon again. I'm blogging excerpts from my travel diary and illustrating from memory the memorable and not-so-memorable meals I had...Start from the beginning here.

Day Seven - Train to Barcelona

I won't be able to remember the colours of the landscape here, which is terrible. Browns, grey-greens, golds, dusky purples and terra cotta. Mountains that sneak up into the clouds, hiding their tips. Small blue-green trees dotting hillsides like miniatures from train sets, dividing farm fields. Rows upon rows of what I assume to be grape vines. And pockets of red-brick villages, plunked in the places where hills meet and cup them in. This is winter, so I suppose that's why the fields look dry, fallow.

And all at once the mountains agree to lie flat - and the plains stretch out to the horizon - plains of dark reds and light golden browns. No, I'm not going to be able to remember these colours.

Estrella cookies for the train ride!

(Later)

After meeting lovely Ricardo and his wonderful apartment in La Barceloneta (I can't really get over the amazing view he has the harbour and the city) I stumbled off for a long walk down to the beach, gelato in hand, across the boardwalk and back - the incredible biomedical research building, the stupidly imposing W Hotel, and back, up Las Ramblas, through a bit of Barri Gotic, caught a bit of mass in the Cathedral and the strange pens of live ducks, and back down home (phew) to make a big bow-tie pasta dinner.


A quiet night in is what my aching feet need!




1 comment:

Rin Ohara said...

These your sketches are so nice and cozy!