Illustration Friday: Slither


Trying out a new technique today as I'm always stumped on what to do with backgrounds. This effect was achieved by spray-fixing the pencil crayon image of the snake, coating it in a layer of dark green gouache, and then lifting the dried gouache paint off with wet paper towels. It does give this great, organic texture, but I found that it obliterated a lot of the detail I had originally put in the snake. I'll have to keep playing around with that.

But tres slithery, non?

Update: Here's the same image, but I added some ink shadows around the snake to try to push it off the background. (And not taken through photoshop, like the first image).


7 comments:

Melissa Kojima said...

C'est tres bien! Je l'adore! I love that you tried a new technique. Not sure what it looked like before, but I love what it looks like now.

Katherine L. White said...

This is awesome. Snake in the grass at its best.

Jack Foster said...

Cool effect Kinnon! Love it!

Pat said...

Very clever and great texture!

ifmorningsbeganatnoon said...

love the way you've written slither with the snake!

Coreopsis said...

I really like this, and the texture is fabulous. Thanks for sharing your technique. I'm always looking for ways to create texture (and am often stumped about what to do with backgrounds). The snake is wonderful!

steve said...

Impressive and very creative!