An Angry Woman


This was another assignment for my Illustration class; we were to do a portrait. This lady I found on Google Images and thought her expression would be an interesting challenge. Here's the original photograph:

So it's pretty clear the proportions aren't right. What's interesting to me is that my drawing now looks much more masculine. The woman in the photograph is obviously a woman, and although she is not wearing obvious makeup or sporting a particularly "feminine" expression--some people may think otherwise, ha--she is unmistakably female. My drawing on its own looks like a drawing of a woman, but now that I'm comparing the two I can't help thinking that it's possibly a man in drag--Michael Palin?--and all because the face is slightly elongated (see the relative distances between the nose and the mouth, for example). I think it's pretty interesting how slight proportion changes can change a gender!

No comments: